Thursday, July 24, 2008

Accents

We had a hell lot of fun coming home today! There was choir and everything, but the day really ended spectacularly. We did a mike check in the hall and got to see the Badmintoners in action. I loved the air Badmintoning these two girls were doing to practise. It looked super cool. Someone I shan’t mention by name (she requested I don’t do so) commented on some of the players, and I was sort of indignant, cause there were some of my mates out there.

Oh yes, let me get to the awesome part. On the way home, on the train, Mith and I spoke entirely in English accents. It was bloody hilarious. We imitated Ron mercilessly (bloody hell!) and we basically had a lot of fun. And we spoke in the train (read: during rush hour, our faces pressed into people’s bags and in immediate hearing range) like that, to test the reactions of our fellow commuters. Our good friend, Christy, was present and she egged us on and laughed at all the right places. (Thanks, Chris!)

I think one lady thought I was genuinely a foreigner, cause she sort of smiled at me, the way I smile at a tourist, cause I’m oh-so-proud (No, seriously, I am. And I don’t have to burst into the National Anthem to prove it) of my country. And she was passing me by (actually squeezing by me) to get to the door, and I went in a totally British-like accent, “Sorry.” It was awesome, I tell you.

Sigh. It was the best commute I’ve had in a while. Mith and I have decided to speak that way for every train ride, and work to bewilder unsuspecting commuters.

Boarding the train, I went, “Oh, so this is a train.” We were all stifling our laughter. Then Mith went, “Yes, I was going around asking where the tube was, and this guy gave me a blank look.” Then I went, “Oh, I thought a tube is what women sometimes like to wear.”

It’s more like an in-joke, I suppose. Freaking hilarious. The underlined words are what we said with accents.

Oh man, we should really do that more often. It takes a lot of stress off a student.

Watch out commuters! We’re here to make your commuting experience a hell lot more interesting!

Cheers,

Me

No comments: