Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The name is Earth, planet earth

There are some things in my life that I will never understand.

Take for example my little brother’s obsession with the roundness of people’s faces.


It makes me so mad to hear him go on about how “cute” a certain person’s face is, ignoring the fact that that person might be standing two feet and a hearing range away from him.


He calls me “Earth”.


That’s right: “Earth”. My name is not in any way related to our planet, but according to Zahin, my face is. His theory is that the Earth is the third planet from the Sun, and since I am the third cutest in our five-member family, I’m the Earth.


Which is, of course, complete crap.


(For your information, the top two cutest people in my family are my mother and father. Our older brother is the least cute, in Zahin’s opinion.)


(Also please note that my little brother’s definition of ‘cute’ is very, very different from an average person’s.)


The guy, obviously, is a complete nut head. At age seven, no less. I fear for the boy’s sanity, really, I do.


Oh, anyway just something in a book I read recently that struck interesting to me: The protagonist was describing his English teacher and he said (in paraphrased form) that he “salivated over a particularly well-placed semi-colon”.


It took me only a few moments to figure out why that sounded so familiar.


The sentence structure in the previous paragraph is probably a little wonky and hard to understand, but I’m too lazy to review it.


I really should win an award for the ability to prattle on about one subject for the longest of times.


In latest Keong-email news (har-di-har-har): He sends a lot of emails, even during the holidays. But I don’t hold it against him, though. It is his job, and he happens to do it a little too well (note: this is a compliment). Nothing more to it. Although every time I see his name in my inbox coupled with the word “maths” I flinch ever so slightly and click on the email very cautiously. The only time I really panicked was the aforementioned email which suggested that the entire Sec 2 cohort had completed their Maths homework, excluding me, that is. Or something to that effect.


On to the latest email I bothered opening, it congratulated three people who received the Edusave Scholarship award in our class. I understand it is, to an extent, quite prestigious, but what about us poor souls who haven’t won a sodden thing who will look at that email and then look down at ourselves?


Rock on, Jynn Chee, by the way. For winning that award.

By the way, if Mr. Keong or any of the Crescent teachers read this, I mean no harm to anyone in any way.


[To the very few (but wonderful) people who actually occasionally peruse this blog: I have tried to break up my paragraphs into smaller paragraphs because I know my usual solid, massive paragraphs are tedious to read and make you want to rip your eyes out of their sockets...right?]


Cheers,

THE EARTH

No comments: